Advice for minorities going to Russia
Advice for dealing with the Russian police
If you need the police in an emergency call 102 or 112 from your mobile, the latter only works in some regions. If you are calling from a landline, dial 02.
If you need to report a crime or incident after the event you will need to do so at a police station. The police should have a means of translation available.
If you are stopped by the police:
- Carry the name of a lawyer in advance and have his phone number with you.
- Ask the police officer to introduce himself and show his police ID. Note down his/her ID on the badge.
- Inform your friends or relatives via SMS that the police stopped you. Tell them where you are.
- Ask for an interpreter.
- If you are arrested, ask to notify your embassy (or consulate).
- Do not run away and do not resist the police officer. Do not touch him or her.
- Do not give your documents to the police - show them your passport or ID from your hands.
- Do not sign any documents if you do not understand the contents.
- Do not make any statement without consulting a lawyer.
If you are arrested you can call or text our Whatsapp advice line: + 7 916 948 11 08